Monday 13 May 2013

Curry Night in a One-bed Flat

Four meat-eaters and a vegan attend a curry night in my tiny flat with no table and not enough chairs.  I would say it went well, perhaps it could have been improved but for my first time hosting a meal and my first ever cooking proper curry, I think it went well!

I'd been planning this thing for two weeks but had not had a trial run.  My cockiness told me I would be able to cook regardless.  Thankfully, I was right about this as I was so pushed for time.  So, I step out of work at 6pm and out of Sainsbury's at 7pm and out of my shower at 7.30pm.  At which point I receive a call from my friend Lexi who is five minutes away and doesn't know exactly where my house is!  She is also running thirty minutes early and I am running thirty behind.  Clutching a towel around myself I look at Joe with pleading eyes while confidently informing Lexi that he will come and get her.  Nothing is yet on the hob or in the oven....

So I bolt for my bedroom, knowing I have to dress up a bit because my friends always do and, in truth, there is a bit of a friendly clothing war going on.  I plump for a black tank top under a pink shrug with a short blue skirt, completed with purple tights.  The whole thing sounds so planned but really it was all I could find with seconds to spare.  I was extremely lucky that it was quite a nice outfit.  My friend Abby told me later that night that she liked my "colours".  So clearly a win!

I finally make it to my kitchen, my hair is still wet and I'm make-up free but at least I've made it to the damn cooking stage.  I decide that as time is short I will follow the recipe to the letter.  I'd gone to ASDA at lunchtime and picked up half the ingredients, which by this point were rolling all over the counter, and got the other half, as I've suggested, from Sainsbury's (with my cash-back card and nectar points, thank you very much)!  They were rolling all over the other counter.

I started with Dal Kofta Balls: http://www.veggienumnum.com/2010/09/dal-kofta/.  It was as I was crumblign bread crumbs over the mixture that my last of three guests arrived.  I was elbow deep in lentils and nuts, and good Lord my hand's were sticky.  Not to be beaten however I persevered with the bloody vegan balls and managed to get eight into the oven.

Got Joe on frying up the chicken, which he then transferred onto a plate and washed the pan.  I was not going to let anything dead touch Abby's food!

I made the sauce from this recipe, using light coconut milk instead of yoghurt: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/9535/indian-chicken-curry-with-tomatoes-and-yoghurt---murgh-kari.aspx.

For dessert I made: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/28863/vegan-chocolate-tofu-pudding.aspx.  I substituted the cocoa powder and soya milk for chocolate soya milk.

I also defrosted a double chocolate cheesecake, which my mum and I prepared earlier (Blue Peter Style). We used this recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/330617/double-chocolate-cheesecake?utm_expid=13353178-7&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2F.  This is easy to make and complete heaven to eat.  You can use the cheapest chocolate you can find and it will still taste expensive.   It takes less than thirty minutes to make and only a couple of hours in the fridge but freezes great too!  It is a perfect pudding in so many ways.  I knocked another one up at the weekend with no effort at all.

So I may have cooking like a maniac while my house was crawling with hungry people but I pulled it off.  I felt like I was in a mini-commercial kitchen, trying to get food out as quickly as possible, chucking orders onto the restaurant floor ASAP.  It was only on the third plate I realised we didn't have enough forks.  Where the hell did all the forks go?!

All the while trying to make polite conversation, being interesting and witty. I leaned on my culinary skill fairly heavily, only pausing from this to tell an embarrassing sexual anecdote (I was story topping!). The food went down the hatches and my first ever vegan effort was a success (I've only got one testimonal on this but that is a 100% success rate if ever there was one).

The aftermath was a mere curry and cutlery bomb hitting my kitchen.  No biggie.

No comments:

Post a Comment